Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Opening Nights

Opera notwithstanding*, I have never made any kind of effort to catch any form of entertainment on its opening day. It just isn't that important to me go out among a crush of fanboys and get cattle-driven into a crowded theater, or wait among eleventy gajillion folks in Harry Potter costume until midnight at the local Books-A-Million. I can ignore media reviews and spoilers, and wait a week or so.

Apparently not so this time, however. I have purchased my tickets for Star Trek so I can be among the crush of folks getting shoehorned into the theater to see it on Thursday. I'd love to see it in IMAX, but as of now they haven't posted showtimes or opened advance sales (Chattanooga Aquarium/IMAX Theater, FedEx just called and they need someone to come down and sign for your shipment of fail!).

So why is Trek an exception? I've never owned a pair of Spock ears, can't match up episode numbers to names, and I don't speak a single word of Klingon**. But the Trek films have always been special. Even the sucky ones. Probably it is just age; Star Trek was my first exposure to sci-fi, so it would be understandable to have some form of nostalgia. Maybe also it is boredom: here I've got something to get excited about and look forward to that doesn't involve a headset growing out of my head.

Whatever the reason, I'll have my review posted by 2230 EDT on Thursday, so y'all can ignore me until you see it.


*And that's not an issue since the CSO has canceled opera performances until further notice (CSO Guild, would you like an extra side of weaksauce with that?).

**Though I can tell you the name of the three-armed rock alien who sat in Chekov's seat in the animated series--WITHOUT looking it up on imdb or wikipedia. Losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment