Tuesday, May 5, 2009

And Speaking of Early Sci-Fi...

One of the items in a recent care-package is the first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Man, that's a blast from the past (thanks Britt!). Growing up, I loved that show, though I want to categorically state that I'm not that old; I caught reruns of it on Saturday afternoons on the local low-budget UHF station.

You kids won't like it. While it isn't campy per se, it certainly isn't in the same weight-class as today's programming. But it was wonderful Cold War adventure that ripped off--er, I mean borrowed from everything. Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, old World War II movies, spy flicks... Everything got the Irwin Allen treatment. None of this new-fangled moral ambiguity, either; the heroes were heroes dammit! Now, of course, it didn't hurt that I started watching it at around the same time that I first read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Advancing age prevents me from identifying which was first, but for sure there was some large amount of cross-pollination of interests there. And now watching it again, thirty years later what do I think? Two things: One, that here's something that's tailor-made for RPGs. And two: Somali pirates? No problem. Send Harriman Nelson after them, and he'll have the whole mess sorted out in time for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment