Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Missing Mythology in RPGs

One of the things I've always said was wrong with most RPG settings, and I've always said I'd get around to fixing for mine (and maybe I have--Monday RMers beware, mwahahaha), is the lack of mythology. That may sound weird when you're talking about worlds where dragons and manticores exist. But that's exactly what I'm talking about: it all exists. There are no quaint superstitions about faeries when the GM and players can open up the rulebook and say, "Yep. Right here on page 145: dryads."

Same thing when you're doing other types of game. If you're running a modern-day thing, and there are news reports about a series of UFO sightings, your players will say, "Yep. We're gonna be goin up against aliens."

Dreams and visions have a similar hangup. Players will pay close attention any time you say, "Your character, Master Pu, has a dream..." They do this because they know dreams and visions are always prophetic and meaningful.

Friends when you're putting together a campaign world, remember to leave a bit of the mythological to myth. Just don't tell your players. :-)

And this week's bonus observation: Certain people on certain forums where most readers of a certain blog hang out seem to always make posts that are contrary to the general consensus. Hey, this is fine. Be an individual. State your opinion. Its a free world we live in. I'm talking about the ones who always disagree with anything anyone has to say. Now I'm neither a statistician nor a psychologist, but it would seem to me that the law of averages says given enough time they'd have to agree with someone else sometime. I ask you, dear friends: why don't they?

1 comment: