Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Reading Room

Just finished up The Dakota Cipher by William Dietrich, which is the third novel to feature his hero Ethan Gage.

I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest. It was an enjoyable read, but the author hasn't been able to match the first book in the series, Napolean's Pyramids. I'll not give any spoilers other than to say that Ethan Gage is one of the top five fictional smartasses extant in literature today (and coincedentally, the series would make for a totally kick ass campaign for Colonial Gothic).

Also, I noticed something strange (and perhaps horrifying): as I've been reading the books, I like just about everyone I guess have been projecting my mental image of how the characters look. This inevitably indicates who I think would be perfectly cast in the movie adaptation...which also inevitably leads to disappointment when they actually do make a movie. I'd have never picked Tom Hanks for Michael Langdon, for example. But if they do make a film adaptation of Napolean's Pyramids, I hope they do a better job of reading my mind. It'd be good to see Wil Wheaton get some work again.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. Not reading much right now, but I've technically started Dragons of Winter Night. I've only read one other Dragonlance book so I don't have much to show in that department.

    Movie adaptations being what they are, I don't hold my breath much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading the prequel book to the Bioware game Dragon Age: Origin, 'The Stolen Throne'. It's good. I wish I could play the game now...

    Also, I'd really love it if you'd check out the book, Terrier, by Tamora Pierce. http://tamorapierce.wikia.com/wiki/Provost%27s_Dog

    Not just because I found it enjoyable, but also because how I'm initially viewing the Guards of our Tropis campaign is very much based on the Dogs (Provost's Guards) in this book. So far I haven't been disproven in my ideas either.

    Barring that... How goes the search for the Otherworld series?

    ReplyDelete