Friday, June 5, 2009

Why I Game Over the Internet

Some highlights from today’s trip to the FLGS:

You play Rolemaster?  That’s a game for munchkins!

“I beg to differ: Few munchkins have enough attention span to  get through a character creation.” 

Well, yeah, but all those rules…

Another conversation with a different person (who would have been easier to understand if she’d had fewer than six facial piercings, but I digress):

Why don’t you like 4e?  Is it because young people play it?

“No.  I don’t like it because the characters all have the same abilities."

No they don’t… (pause)  Well, maybe some of them do but take the… (pause)  Well, I don’t care, it rocks!

The guy at the register points to my headphones while he’s ringing up my dice (the TGG’s Conan game is audible through the one that isn’t in my ear):  You listening to the Penny Arcade podcast?  Man that is so awesome!

“No, actually it is one of the groups hosted on rpgmp3.com.  If you like the PA podcast you should check them out.”

Yeah, I hear a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon since the PA guys proved to be so popular.

“Actually rpgmp3.com has been doing that sort of thing since since 2004 and they began podcasting a 4ed game the same day the game was released and…  You know, never mind.  I’ll buy some dice online.  Have a nice day.”

Some days its easy being a card-carrying RPG Podcast Professional and Worldwide Ambassador for AP Producers Everywhere.  Other days it ain’t

2 comments:

  1. I still remember the guy in the 'f'lgs moaning how Lotr is such a copycat of D&D...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually more of the inclination that Internet definately makes it easier to dodge undesirable people. Ie: The Brainless. To be blunt and quite rude.

    So! Skip the hassel of having to meet them in person and well just have your dealings over the internet. It makes it nicer not having to be near people whilst you game as well. But call that the isolationist in me.

    ReplyDelete